The regenerative medicine space is one that is set to explode with considerable innovation and profitability for shrewd biotechnologists. I had the opportunity to speak with Michael West, PhD., CEO of BioTime (BTX) and found a man passionate about regenerative medicine and of course passionate about his role in its future. In this conversation I learned of West's vision, which I think provides some powerful clues as to areas of future growth in the biotech sector. He points to three scientific advances that make this vision actualizable. First, sequencing technology that allows us to perform RNA sequencing for around 300 dollars or less, second the common and reversible molecular basis for age-related diseases, and finally industrial scaling of pure cell lines like the ones manufactured by BTX. Let's look at the three enabling technologies that West touched on and examine how they are being utilized to achieve West's vision within BTX and others involved in the anti-aging revolution.
West, M.D., The Immortal Cell: One Scientist's Quest to Solve the Mystery of Human Aging. 1st ed2003: Doubleday.
Chen, C.Y., DNA polymerases drive DNA sequencing-by-synthesis technologies: both past and present. Frontiers in microbiology, 2014. 5: p. 305.
Dorit, R.L., et al., Direct DNA sequencing of PCR products. Current protocols in molecular biology / edited by Frederick M. Ausubel ... [et al.], 2001. Chapter 15: p. Unit 15 2.
Henahan, S. FIRST COMPLETE GENOME SEQUENCED [cited 2015 3/6/2015]; Available from: http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA06/hflu.php.
Kowalski, H. The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR), J. Craig Venter Institute, J. Craig Venter Science Foundation Consolidate into one Organization - the J. Craig Venter Institute. 2006; Press Release]. Available from: http://www.jcvi.org/cms/press/press-releases/full-text/article/the-institute-for-genomic-research-tigr-j-craig-venter-institute-j-craig-venter-science-founda/.
Mensaert, K., et al., Next-generation technologies and data analytical approaches for epigenomics. Environmental and molecular mutagenesis, 2014. 55(3): p. 155-70.
Segall, J. BioTimeâ€™s Subsidiary Cell Cure Neurosciences Ltd. Files an IND with the FDA for OpRegenÂ® Designed to Treat Patients with Dry-AMD. 2014; Available from: http://investor.biotimeinc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=83805&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1974234.
Tseng, Y.H., et al., Emerging regulation and function of betatrophin. International journal of molecular sciences, 2014. 15(12): p. 23640-57.
Barnes, M.A., M.J. Carson, and M.G. Nair, Non-traditional cytokines: How catecholamines and adipokines influence macrophages in immunity, metabolism and the central nervous system. Cytokine, 2015. 72(2): p. 210-219.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).