Do VC Firms of Different Ownership Structures Exert Heterogeneous Impact on the SMEs’ Profitability?
Keywords:Venture capital, SMEs, Ownership Structures, Profitability
AbstractThis article is to investigate the heterogeneous effect of Venture Capital?VC, in abbreviated form?on the profitability performance of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs, in abbreviated form) in China, from the perspective of VC firms’ different ownership structures. Our regression results show that the Chinese entrepreneurial firms backed by VC firms can present significantly positive superiority over the non VC backed peers in the performance of profitability; the VC firms can exert the positive impact on the profitability performance of the SMEs. After focusing on the VCs’ characteristics in the ownership structures, it is proven that the foreign VC firms can have the strongest positive impact on the ventures’ profitability performance; the Chinese private VC firms can have the positive impact on the SMEs’ profitability, but the impact is weaker than that of foreign VCs and stronger than that of governmental VC in a positive way; the governmental VC firms exert the significantly negative effect on the ventures’ profitability.
Cao J, Liu Q, Tian G G. Do venture capitalists play a monitoring role in an emerging market? Evidence from the pay-performance relationship of Chinese entrepreneurial firms[J]. PACIFIC-BASIN FINANCE JOURNAL, 2014,29:121-145.
Di Guo, Kun J. Venture capital investment and the performance of entrepreneurial firms: evidence from China[J]. Journal of Corporate Finance, 2013,22:375-395.
Liu Z, Chen Z. VENTURE CAPITAL NETWORKS AND INVESTMENT PERFORMANCE IN CHINA[J]. AUSTRALIAN ECONOMIC PAPERS, 2014,53(1-2):97-111.
Bertoni F, Ferrer M A, Martí J. The different roles played by venture capital and private equity investors on the investment activity of their portfolio firms[J]. Small Business Economics, 2013,40(3):607-633.
Cumming D. Adverse selection and capital structure: Evidence from venture capital[J]. ENTREPRENEURSHIP THEORY AND PRACTICE, 2006,30(2):155-183.
Amit R, Glosten L, Muller E. Entrepreneurial Ability, Venture Investments, And Risk Sharing[J]. Management Science, 1990,36(10):1232-1245.
Lu H, Tan Y, Huang H. Why do venture capital firms exist: An institution-based rent-seeking perspective and Chinese evidence[J]. ASIA PACIFIC JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT, 2013,30(3SI):921-936.
Wang L, Wang S. Cross-border venture capital performance: Evidence from China[J]. PACIFIC-BASIN FINANCE JOURNAL, 2011,19(1):71-97.
Humphery-Jenner M, Suchard J. Foreign VCs and venture success: Evidence from China[J]. JOURNAL OF CORPORATE FINANCE, 2013,21:16-35.
Jia C. China's Venture Capital Guiding Funds: policies and practice[J]. Journal of Chinese Entrepreneurship, 2010,2(3):292-297.
Ni H, Luan T, Cao Y, et al. Can venture capital trigger innovation ? New evidence from China[J]. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT, 2014,65(1-4SI):189-214.
Brander J A, Amit R, Antweiler W. Venture-capital syndication: Improved venture selection vs. the value-added hypothesis[J]. Journal Of Economics & Management Strategy, 2002,11(3):423-452.
Bertoni F, Tykvova T. Does governmental venture capital spur invention and innovation? Evidence from young European biotech companies[J]. RESEARCH POLICY, 2015,44(4):925-935.
Colombo M G, Cumming D J, Vismara S. Governmental venture capital for innovative young firms[J]. JOURNAL OF TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER, 2016,41(1):10-24.
Grilli L, Murtinu S. Government, venture capital and the growth of European high-tech entrepreneurial firms[J]. Research Policy, 2014,43(9):1523-1543.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).