An introductory perspective on emerging, transformative technologies in biopharma: promises, challenges and impediments
This article provides a top-level overview of some key challenges and potential solutions associated with the development and commercialization of innovative and transformative solutions to address identified needs in biopharmaceutical, MedTech and Digital Health markets. As the industry seeks to incorporate more diverse technologies, it is simultaneously transforming thru the formation of open innovation partnership models and collaborations amongst the various parties in the ecosystem, including start-ups and emerging organizations. Accordingly, organizational, or business model transformation is required to reduce risk, while providing for capital-efficient development, clinical validation, and commercialization. We also address the need for an ethical and transparent approach to align the interests of all parties in the healthcare ecosystem and to achieve affordable pricing of the resultant solutions.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).