Dramatic disruptions in technologies can result in the creation of new markets, the emergence of new paradigms, and the displacement of entrenched approaches and business models. This can be especially pronounced when multiple technologies converge to create something new. Today, artificial intelligence (“AI”) is acting as an accelerant for such technology transformations. Still, the scope and depth of its impact will depend in part on our ability to address challenging problems that are surfacing without solutions. Industries will pursue AI for their corporate missions and to create shareholder value. But the timescales and applications can be incongruent with important public needs and with the longer research horizons required to make real progress. Public-Private partnerships are an important mechanism for tackling these rapidly emerging new, complex, challenging problems. This paper examines our experience gained by creating a unique public-private partnership to apply AI to one example of a hard problem that is particularly timely today-- dramatically accelerating drug discovery.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).