This article provides an overview of the emerging technology of enzymatic DNA synthesis, which holds the promise of making the business of writing DNA cost-effective, faster, sustainable, and more accurate compared to the traditional DNA synthesis method of phosphoramidite chemistry. Enzymatic DNA synthesis lends itself to various business models to realize the enormous opportunities across established and emerging industries that can be transformed with the reliable and affordable creation of long, high-quality, sequence specific DNA or, in the case of DNA data storage, the template-independent creation of DNA in nontoxic solutions without the need for post-synthesis processing. This review includes a discussion of potential verticals, such as life sciences – which includes gene editing, synthetic biology, precision medicine, DNA nanotechnology, and RNA vaccine development – as well as DNA data storage. Enzymatic DNA synthesis is being rapidly advanced to a commercial reality, with the first enzymatically synthesized DNA products to enter the market in the next year.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).