An earthquake in Japan cuts off the supply of key equipment and/or pharmaceutical ingredients to a biotechnology company with facilities in the U.S. Â High winds and flooding from a hurricane along the East coastâ€”home to a notable number of biotechnology facilitiesâ€”causes catastrophic property damage. What these cataclysmic events have in common is the wide scale business interruption that is left in their wake. While no company is immune to the threat that natural disasters pose to operations, biotechnology companies also face an increased risk of manmade disasters, from chemical spills and steam explosions to fires intensified by combustible dust. A business interruption of any kind jeopardizes a companyâ€™s critical output and its financial securityâ€”a reality that some never recover from. In order to withstand the crisis and return to business, developing and implementing a business continuity plan, which includes the purchase of insurance protection, is integral to the recovery process. Although the development and implementation of a business continuity plan may require a serious initial financial commitment, it can help protect your biotechnology firm against greater physical and financial loss.
Patrick Rupinski, â€œBusinesses Damaged by Tornado Strive to Open Up Again,â€ May 29, 2011, Tuscaloosa News.com. http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110529/news/110529639?tc=ar
Massachusetts Biotechnology Council. Strategic Outlook for 2015 and Strategic Plan. April 2009. http://www.massbio.org/writable/files/2015_Report/full_2015_report_for_distribution.pdf
Ernst & Young. Beyond Borders: Global Biotechnology Report 2011. http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Beyond_borders_global_biotechnology_report_2011/$FILE/Beyond_borders_global_biotechnology_report_2011.pdf
Ernst & Young. Global Information Security Survey 2002.
PricewaterhouseCoppers. KnowledgeLine: Supply chain risk assessment. June 2009. http://www.pwc.be/en/pharma/pdf/supply-chain-risk-assessment-PwC-09.pdf
FM Global. The Risk/Earnings Ratio: New Perspectives for Achieve Bottom-Line Stability. 2010. http://www.fmglobal.com/assets/pdf/P09232.pdf
Oxford Metrica. Reputation Review 2011. http://www.oxfordmetrica.com/public/CMS/Files/825/Aon_Oxford%20Metrica%20Reputation%20Review_2011.pdf
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).