Human Genome Science (HGS) aspired to dominate the emergent field of genomics by discovering expressed gene sequences and developing therapeutic and diagnostic products based on proprietary genes. While HGSâ€™ accomplishments fell short of their own lofty expectations, by the time HGS was acquired by GlaxoSmithKline, the company had extensive intellectual property and had launched a product with >$1 billion market potential. Nevertheless, HGSâ€™ acquisition price was less than the total capital investments in the company. This work examines HGSâ€™ history and accomplishments in the context of the business plan described by the company at their IPO. We focus specifically on the companyâ€™s valuation over time, which was highly correlated with general market indices, but negatively correlated with metrics of technical or clinical progress. The history of HGS points to the challenge of accounting for the value created by a science-based business plan. Earnings-based metrics, present value calculations, and â€œfair valueâ€ assessments did not account for HGSâ€™ progress in executing their stated business plan. This work highlights the critical need for accounting practices that credit value to the progress of translational science and enable investors to profit from such investments.
GSK. GSK completes acquistion of Human Genome Sciences. Press Release (2012).
HGS. S-1 filing. SEC document (1993).
Kirknew, E.F. & Kerlavage, A.R. The TIGR Human cDNA Database, Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 69. (Humana Press Inc., Totowa, NJ; 1997).
HGS. 1998 Annual Report. SEC Document (1998).
HGS. Human Genome Sciences Announces Second Quarter 2002 Financial Results. Press Release (2002).
DiMasi, J.A., Feldman, L., Seckler, A. & Wilson, A. Trends in risks associated with new drug development: success rates for investigational drugs. Clin Pharmacol Ther 87, 272-277 (2010).
Kim, S. & Hirschler, B. Exclusive: Human Genome rejected Amgen's $7 billion bid in 2010:sources. Reuters (2012).
Center for Disease Control. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus).
Istockanalyst. Should you invest in Human Genome Sciences Inc. (NASDAQ:HGSI)? ( 2011).
Lehman Brothers and McKinsey. The fruits of genomics. New York (2001).
Schneider, P. et al. BAFF, a novel ligand of the tumor necrosis factor family, stimulates B cell growth. J Exp Med 189, 1747-1756 (1999).
Shu, H.B., Hu, W.H. & Johnson, H. TALL-1 is a novel member of the TNF family that is down-regulated by mitogens. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 65, 680-683 (1999).
Mukhopadhyay, A., Ni, J., Zhai, Y., Yu, G.-L. & Aggarwal, B.B. Identification and Characterization of a Novel Cytokine, THANK, aTNF Homologue That ActivatesApoptosis, Nuclear Factor-ÎºB, and c-Jun NH2-Terminal Kinase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274, 15978-15981 (1999).
Moore, P.A. et al. BLyS: member of the tumor necrosis factor family and B lymphocyte stimulator. Science 285, 260-263 (1999).
Tribouley, C. et al. Characterization of a new member of the TNF family expressed on antigen presenting cells. Biol Chem 380, 1443-1447 (1999).
GSK. GSK continues with tender offer to acquire all outstanding shares of Human Genome Sciences. Press Release (2012).
Pisano, G.P. Science Business: The promise, the reality, and the future of biotech. (Harvard Business School Press, Boston; 2006).
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).