The safety and efficacy of Americaâ€™s medicine supply has long been considered the â€œgold standardâ€ by which other countries are measured.Â Our â€œclosed systemâ€ comprised of strict regulations for the approval, manufacture and distribution of prescription drugs served us well in an era when those regulations could be enforced.Â Today, however, a global economy through which goods and services flow virtually unimpeded, and the ever-increasing demand for more accessible and affordable prescription drugs are threatening to overwhelm our regulatory systems and place the medicine supply at risk.Â The growing presence of substandard, adulterated and counterfeit medicine in the U. S. market is a warning sign that responsible parties need to act promptly to restore the overall integrity of the nationâ€™s prescription drug supply.Â This will require a holistic approach that employs advanced technology within a comprehensive strategy that includes stakeholder awareness, regulatory enforcement, legal change, and a sustained policy commitment to patient safety and global health.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).