Accelerating the Growth of Bioeconomy in Malaysia
Keywords:Malaysian Biotechnology Corporation, Bioeconomy Transformation Programme, bioeconomy, BiotechCorp, Malaysia, biotechnology, biodiversity, BioNexus
Advances in commercial application of biotechnology worldwide over the past two decades have led to the development of a bioeconomy, whereby substantial economic outputs are from the development and use of biological materials. Bioeconomy encompasses all industries and economic sectors based on the values implicit in biological materials that can be translated into new sources of income, environmental sustainability and social well-being.
Malaysia, one of the most competitive biotechnology hubs in the Asia-Pacific region, has also taken critical early steps to coordinate and intensify national efforts to harness the potential of the bioeconomy. Most significantly, the Bioeconomy Transformation Programme (BTP) was launched in October 2012, making the country only the second in Asia, after China, and the first in ASEAN, to establish its own national bioeconomy initiative.
The BTP is in line with the Governmentâ€™s objective to develop Malaysia into a high-income nation by the year 2020. The BTP aims to achieve this by focusing on bio-based industries in Malaysia, a sector that has been identified as having enormous potential to further develop the nation due to the abundance of natural resources available.
With the introduction of the BTP, Malaysia is now unlocking even greater opportunities in the local and regional biotechnology industry, and enhancing the participation of the private sector. Through effective execution strategies from the Government and BiotechCorp, the biotechnology sector is now directly contributing towards efforts to drive Malaysia towards a high-income and knowledge-based economy by year 2020.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).