Lean Start-up: A Comprehensive Case Study in the Establishment of Affordable Laboratory Infrastructure
Keywords:Entrepreneurship, Start-up Company, Stem cells, Automation, Biotechnology, DIY bio
Historically, innovation in the biotechnology sector has relied to a large extent on the expensive infrastructure provided by universities or large pharmaceutical companies. This prohibitive start-up expense is the basis of why garage-style biotechnology entrepreneurs are exceedingly rare as compared to their software and high-tech counterparts. Recent consolidation among pharmaceutical companies and the release of next generation research equipment has produced an affordable surplus in the secondary equipment markets, reducing the barrier to entry posed by equipment expenses. We examine the biotechnology start-up Ichor Therapeutics, Inc., and review strategies that the founding team has successfully employed to establish an affordable laboratory, reduce research expenses, and promote communication among team members.
Med, S. C. T. Bottlenecks in Deriving Definitive Hematopoietic Stem Cells From Human Pluripotent Stem Cells: A CIRM Mini-Symposium and Workshop Report. Stem Cells 3, 775â€“781 (2014).
Seita, J. & Weissman, I. L. Hematopoietic Stem Cell: Self-renewal versus Differentiation. Wiley Interdiscip. Rev. Syst. Biol. Med. 2, 640â€“653 (2010).
Hornke, M. & Mandewirth, S. Merger & acquisitions (M & A) in the pharmaceutical industry: the wheel keeps on turning. J. Bus. Chem. 7, 67â€“68 (2010).
Bonaccorsi, A., Lyon, T. P., Pammolli, F. & Turchetti, G. Auctions vs. bargaining: An empirical analysis of medical device procurement. Lab. Econ. Manag. SantAnna Sch. Adv. Stud. Pisa2000 (2003).
Capitalization Policy and Depreciation Policy for Capital Assets. at <https://www.suny.edu/sunypp/documents.cfm?doc_id=559>
Einav, L., Farronato, C., Levin, J. D. & Sundaresan, N. Sales Mechanisms in Online Markets: What Happened to Internet Auctions?. (National Bureau of Economic Research, 2013). at <http://www.nber.org/papers/w19021>
Louit, D., Pascual, R., Banjevic, D. & Jardine, A. K. Optimization models for critical spare parts inventoriesâ€”a reliability approach. J. Oper. Res. Soc. 62, 992â€“1004 (2011).
Tersine, R. J. Principles of inventory and materials management. (North-Holland, 1988). at <http://books.google.ca/books?id=v_tTAAAAMAAJ>
Drago, I., Bocchi, E., Mellia, M., Slatman, H. & Pras, A. Benchmarking personal cloud storage. in 205â€“212 (ACM Press, 2013). doi:10.1145/2504730.2504762
Walsh, E. & Cho, I. Using Evernote as an Electronic Lab Notebook in a Translational Science Laboratory. J. Lab. Autom. 18, 229â€“234 (2013).
Vanhecke, T. E. Zotero. J. Med. Libr. Assoc. JMLA 96, 275 (2008).
Heinzman, J. M., Rice, S. D. & Corkan, L. A. Robotic Liquid Handlers and Semiautomated Cell Quantification Systems Increase Consistency and Reproducibility in High-Throughput, Cell-Based Assay. J. Assoc. Lab. Autom. 15, 7â€“14 (2010).
Moon, S.-H. et al. Optimizing human embryonic stem cells differentiation efficiency by screening size-tunable homogenous embryoid bodies. Biomaterials 35, 5987â€“5997 (2014).
Shevde, N. & Mael, A. in Basic Cell Culture Protocols (eds. Helgason, C. D. & Miller, C. L.) 946, 535â€“546 (Humana Press, 2013).
Bosma, M. J. & Carroll, A. M. The SCID mouse mutant: definition, characterization, and potential uses. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 9, 323â€“350 (1991).
Lowes USA. Catalog Number 219836.
Lowes USA. Catalog number 6005.
Philips, USA. Catalog number 299305.
Lights of America, U. Catalog Number 7108.
Lowes USA. Catalog Number 15358.
Wal-Mart, USA. Catalog Number 550266396.
Lowes USA. Catalog number 225505.
Studt, T. Economic Forces Continue to Drive Up Lab Construction Costs. RD Mag. 50, 38 (2008).
Friedman, Y. Science Business: The Promise, the Reality, and the Future of Biotech. By Gary P. Pisano. Biotechnol. J. 1, 1474â€“1474 (2006).
Greenwood, J. C. Biotechnology Entrepreneurship.
Oliver, A. L. Biotechnology entrepreneurial scientists and their collaborations. Res. Policy 33, 583â€“597 (2004).
Ledford, H. Life hackers. Nature 467, 650â€“652 (2010).
Lalkaka, R. Technology business incubators to help build an innovation-based economy. J. Change Manag. 3, 167â€“176 (2002).
Personal communication. (2014).
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).