We explore a Rasch approach to ranking the top 15 firms in the pharmaceutical industry by their overall financial performance.Â Using an initial set of ratios spanning multiple dimensions of firm financial performance, we select the ratios that are compatible with the requirements of the Rasch model for this industry during 2002-2013.Â We then identify the firms that most frequently ranked among the top five performers. Three firms stand out as consistently disclosing the required data and showing up at the top of the performance spectrum. Our approach offers a new perspective on the valuation of managers and their firms.Â
Bertrand, M., and Schoar, A., (2003) Managing with Style: The Effects of Managers on Firm Policies, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 118 (4): 1169-1208.
Bond, T. G., and Fox, C. M., (2007) Applying the Rasch Model: Fundamental Measurement in the Human Sciences. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Publishers.
Goodman, M., (2009) Pharmaceutical Industry Financial Performance, Nature Review Drug Discovery, 8(12): 927-28.
Lewellen, J., (2004) Predicting Returns with Financial Ratios. Journal of Financial Economics. 74: 209â€“235.
Tickell, S., (2013) PharmaFutures: Pathways to Value: Pharma in a Changing World. Oxford, UK: Meteos Ltd.
Rasch, G., (1960) Probabilistic Models for Some Intelligence and Attainment Tests Copenhagen: Danmarks Paedagogiske Institut.
Schellhorn, C., and Sharma, R., (2013) Using the Rasch Model to Rank Firms by Managerial Ability. Managerial Finance, 39 (3): 306-319.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).