Asparagus is an important medicinal plant having multiple applications in the various treatment systems. Advances in field of biotechnology has resulted in researchers genetically manipulating medicinal plants to create desired biochemical profile. The present review explores applications of genetic engineering in wild species of Asparagus. The search revealed that most of the patents were targeted for yield improvement, followed by nutritional improvement and production of important biomolecules. Yield improvement, was achieved by modifications in plant hormonal levels. For nutritional improvement, popular targeted agents included β-carotene and methionine. Terms annotated for enzymes in patents are depicted using Gene Ontology based map.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).