This article highlights the importance of building a marketing led cross-functional team that integrates the R&D, and commercialization process in an early stage Biopharma and MedTech company. Marketing should play a prominent role in the cross-functional team at the earliest stages of company formation and product development to identify unmet need, design the development plan, shape the product life cycle, position the product in the competitive set, and understand all market drivers and competitive factors that are essential to ensure commercial success. In particular, in this paper, the focus is on the importance of creating an appealing target product profile (TPP) and describe the rational and methodology for creating the TPP. Drug development is a high risk, high cost, high reward undertaking, and the TPP provides a market-guided approach to development of drugs more quickly, inexpensively, and with a higher rate of success.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).