The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Content and Logistics of this Special Edition on Building and Leveraging Ecosystems and Clusters
Co-Editors’ Preface and Statement
On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus addressed the global media: “WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction. We have therefore made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterized as a pandemic.”1 While the existence, transmissibility, treatment, and potential impact of severe acute respiratory coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 were real questions since the virus was first recognized in December, 2019,2 much of the media coverage was driven by global public health concerns and international/national political posturing. However, it was a different date that catalyzed commercial biotechnology.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).