Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley: A Geographically Distributed and Expanding Life Science Ecosystem
Philadelphia has been considered by many to be the birthplace of the modern US pharmaceutical industry with Merck & Co. Inc.’s research division Merck Research Labs [originally called MSDRL] based in West Point and GSK’s primary US labs [originally SKF] now based in Collegeville. The City of Philadelphia is also home to two of the oldest medical schools in the US: Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania founded in 1765 and the Sydney Kimmel Medical College [formerly Jefferson Medical College] founded in 1824. The conjunction of those two touchpoints along with the other big pharma players, e.g., Johnson & Johnson/Janssen and emerging biotech entities in the wider Delaware Valley region is significant. Also noteworthy is the presence of other research intensive universities such as Drexel University, Temple University, Jefferson University and research institutes such as the Wistar Institute, Fox Chase Cancer Center [associated with Temple University School of Medicine], Lankenau Institute, Monell Chemical Senses Center and the Coriell Institute in Southern New Jersey.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).