UC San Diego, The Military and Building a Unique, Diversified Economic Growth Ecosystem
San Diego’s economy, fueled by its innovation ecosystem, has experienced meteoric growth over the past several decades, with the region now ranked amongst the top life sciences clusters in the world. This growth has been inextricably linked to the military presence over the decades and the region has benefited from the symbiotic presence of both the military and private and public sector innovation partners, creating an ecosystem that may be unique in the nation. This unique combination of market forces is turbo-charging the creation of “multi-use” technologies and startups, through regional collaborations and associated programs that align the research discoveries and capabilities of universities, with the strategic needs of the government, while feeding the growth of commercial industry partners and the economy as a whole. One key to the continued competitiveness and success of San Diego will be to strengthen this virtuous cycle, to drive productivity and propagate the impact of the engagement across multiple innovation sectors or clusters.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).